MOONSHINE: Measurements for Composable Performance Models of Cyber-physical Network Components
PIs: Georg Carle (TU Muenchen)
This project aims for a measurement-based approach towards composable models for CPNs. We plan to set up a measurement testbed, that supports the evaluation of a CPN benchmark application using reproducible measurements of different wireless technologies and protocol stacks. Our approach is to use a two-wheeled inverted pendulum (TWIP), of which a Segway is a well-known instantiation, as benchmark example. This software emulation can be evaluated in combination with a variety of wireless protocol stack alternatives in an automated measurement series. We analyze the protocol stack in detail, using composable models that we parameterize using the measurement results. Network calculus provides a framework that allows for combining performance models. Stochastic Network Calculus allows to give stochastic performance bounds on delays. Temporal network calculus allows to model the impact of error-prone wireless links and contention-based multi-access networks on latency. We investigate the influence of the software stack execution on the network service quality by different processing platforms. For effective collaboration with other projects of the Priority Program “Cyber-Physical Networking”, we will make the measurement data generated in the testbed publicly available.
Involved PhD and PostDoc candidates
- Sebastian Gallenmüller
- Dr.-Ing. Stephan M. Günther
- Maurice Leclaire, M.Sc.
- Sebastian Gallenmüller, Maurice Leclaire, Stephan Günther, Georg Carle: MOONSHINE – Measurements for Composable Performance Models of Cyber-Physical Network Components, International Symposium on Networked Cyber-Physical Systems (NET-CPS 2016), Garching, Germany, September 2016.
- Sebastian Gallenmüller, Dominik Scholz, Florian Wohlfart, Quirin Scheitle, Paul Emmerich, Georg Carle: High-Performance Packet Processing and Measurements (Invited Paper), 10th International Conference on Communication Systems & Networks (COMSNETS 2018), Bangalore, India, January 2018.
- Sebastian Gallenmüller, Stephan Günther, Maurice Leclaire, Samuele Zoppi, Fabio Molinari, Richard Schöffauer, Wolfgang Kellerer, Georg Carle: Benchmarking Networked Control Systems, 1st Workshop on Benchmarking Cyber-Physical Networks and Systems, Oporto, Portugal, April 2018.
- Sebastian Gallenmüller, René Glebke, Stephan Günther, Eric Hauser, Maurice Leclaire, Stefan Reif, Jan Rüth, Andreas Schmidt, Georg Carle, Thorsten Herfet, Wolfgang Schröder-Preikschat, Klaus Wehrle: Enabling Wireless Network Support for Gain Scheduled Control, 2nd International Workshop on Edge Systems, Analytics and Networking (EdgeSys ‘19), Dresden, Germany, March 2019.